domingo, 16 de marzo de 2014

What is my race?

It is really hard to determine what race are people from. We saw a documentary in class that talked and explained race. The conclusion of the documentary is basically that race is a myth created by people based on skin color and physical traits. The documentary showed that throughout the years there has 3 races: black,white, and caucasian or "latino". White colored people have always being considered the best and black colored people the worst. In colombia racism is not seeing as much as in other countries.

I am not sure of what race I am because I am not white or black so it is very hard for me to classify myself. Most colombians have the same brown skin color and we call that race "trigueno" or "moreno" but those are colombian terms that we use. My race do not gave me privileges in the world; my parents effort did. I am blessed to share some benefits that other people unfortunately cannot afford and I thank God every day for that. Here in Colombia there is not a classification between races like in other countries. We are all colombians no matter if we are white, black or "morenitos".I've found a web page that said: There is a race division in our country and that is the place of birth. In places like Santa Marta, Cartagena, Barranquilla, and all the coast part of the country the population is black or dark skinned people. In places where there is cold weather like Bogota most people are white. The link to the web page is right here:

http://countrystudies.us/colombia/37.htm

The citation to the web page is right here:

"Colombia - RACE AND ETHNICITY." Colombia - RACE AND ETHNICITY. N.p., n.d.Web. 16 Mar. 2014.


1 comentario:

  1. I agree with you we all are one race, no matter what color, height, religion, we all are the same and born in the same land. If we want to go foward we have to stop racism.

    ResponderEliminar